Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Prayer

I've been feeling down lately. I can't seem to name it, and that does nothing but frustrate me more. A friend of mine said I should pray. I thought about it, and remembered how much I used to write prayers to God. I decided to post this one, in case someone might relate:

Dear God,
I don't think I can do this much longer. I'm as my friend would say, "on the ledge." I don't feel like I'm connecting with this stuff, and as before I feel like I'm getting caught up in the particulars (which I also can't seem to name). I feel like I'm having to struggle in all of my classes; not to simply produce good work, but to understand and wrap my mind around the big picture. It just seems like there is something every quarter that I have to deal with, and in some ways I feel like I'm reaching my breaking point.
I guess it just seems that these things are so big, with so much history, so intricately woven into the fabric of society that I can't ever possibly do anything to set a new prescient for the future. I know I'm only one person and it is not by my might or power but by your Spirit, but I feel like I'm even struggling to embody what that looks like. Your glory is too great for this broken vessel, and I am not sure that I will be able to withstand the pressure that this tasks demands.
Maybe my friend is right, maybe I do always try to carry the world on my shoulders. But, to be honest, my concept of "letting go and letting God" is changing. I can no longer sit passively and not speak against injustice. But I can't seem shake the weight that is so easily besetting me.

Lord, teach me your ways. Allow me to see the way that your Spirit is driving my very situation. It would seem that I've arrived at a point where I can't even know exactly what to pray for, and I need your Spirit not just to provide your solution, but your judgment to name the problem. Give me clarity as I approach my studies; so that I may no longer be lost in the details, but that your Spirit is always informing, always teaching, always speaking. Give me boldness so that I will not be ashamed of who you made me; even when I feel like the minority. Give me peace in knowing that your place for me is here. Give me wisdom to know when to slow down, stop, and just be still in your presence. I do not want to go through the motions of learning about you and find that I am further from you. Draw me closer to your presence; both in times of prayer and in community. Allow me to see how my own transformation is contingent on your church also being transformed (and vice versa).

May your grace and mercy be the glue that holds this broken vessel together...

1 comment: