Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crapping in Public Places

This brings 'Honest Conversation' to a whole other level. This is not an article for the weak of stomach but I am going somewhere with this so please bare with me (I promise no pictures).

How many of us feel free to "crap in public places?"

I know I know, TMI. But allow me to use this metaphor in relation to church.

As a kid, I would always dread being out with family and friends and having to "go number 2" while we were out in public. For one, I would always get teased by my brothers and sisters. "Ewww, you're nasty!" "Can't you just wait till we get home?" The urge to "go number 2" in public was seen as a bad thing; an inconvenience. It took too long, and other people had to "deal" with it. It would be better for me to just "hold it in" until I got home and handled it in private.

(can you relate yet?)

I must admit, I was a bit traumatized by this. I found myself "holding it in" more often than not, and when I did manage to go, I felt ashamed for doing so. I dreaded those footsteps of someone entering the restroom before I left, and when they entered and were clearly disgruntled, I was quick to confess in some way "it wasn't me."

(how about now?)

As I got older, I realized how stupid my thoughts were. If people had to "go number 2" in a public restroom then why shouldn't they? Isn't that what its for? If it wasn't meant for people to go then why would they have the stalls to do so? Yes, it wasn't the nicest smelling thing in the world but do we really expect people to "hold it in" because we don't want to be inconvenienced for a moment?

(come on, you gotta connect some dots here)

Hopefully by now you were able to see where I am going with this. What if "crapping in public places" wasn't necessarily going to the bathroom but revealing a part of myself that wasn't so "Christian" to those in the church? Are there any relations between my fears of relieving myself in public to revealing myself in the church?

I think so.

If I may; allow me to "retell" my story in this context:

Being a new Christian, I always dreaded being with brothers and sisters in Christ and having the need to discuss things in my life that were considered "sinful" in church. For one, I would always get teased by my brothers and sisters, "You did what? I cant believe it!" "Isn't this something you should discuss in private?" The urge to speak on the things frowned upon in the church was considered a bad thing; an inconvenience. It took too long to sort out, and other people had to "deal" with it. It would be better for me to wait till I got home; these are things that should be handled in private.

(...)

I must admit, I was a bit traumatized by this. I found myself keeping silent more often than not, and when I did manage to speak on these things; I was ashamed for doing so. I dreaded the wrong person hearing about my "issues." When someone did hear it and was clearly offended, I was quick to separate myself from the issue: "I'm not talking about me, it's for a friend..."

(and again I say ...)

As I got older, I realized how stupid my thoughts were. If people need to talk about the "crap" in their lives in order to help them in their healing process then why shouldn't they? Isn't that what church is for? If it wasn't meant for people to go then why would they have the ministries to assist in this process? Yes, it wasn't the most "Christian" thing in the world but do we really expect people to remain silent about what ails them because we don't want to be inconvenienced for a moment? Are we not called to walk with people in this regard?

(things that make you go hmmmm...)

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment