Friday, April 1, 2016

30 day Writing Challenge Day One

Today marks the first day of a self-imposed 30 day writing challenge.

The challenge: Write everyday for 30 days using daily prompts. No editing. No judging your writing. It will be bad, and that's OK. The point is not to write great pieces, but simply to write. Hopefully by the end of the challenge I will have cultivated some sort of daily writing habit that I can build on.

The Prompt:
Day One: Write a short story where every sentence begins with the letter "A"


"Awesome," she says, rolling her eyes. Anyone with a lick of common sense could see the sarcasm dripping from her response. Although to her dismay, her friends did not seem to get the point. "As I was saying," she continued, "I just think we are rushing into this."
Apparently, she was in the minority. As fate would have it, Ashley was out voted, and the wine and hot air balloon trip was booked. A few weeks later, a stone faced Ashley was practically pushed into the hot air balloon basket and trapped in a corner for fear of her escape. As the balloon began to take off, she made herself as small as possible, a bottle of red wine in her lap. About half way through the bottle, she gathered enough courage to stand and look at the view.
"Amazing" she slurred loudly. Ashley was known for two things: her fear of heights and being a lightweight drinker. As she finished off the bottle, she attempted to recreate the famous Titanic scene screaming "I am the queen of the world!"
Ashley was pronounced dead at the scene. Accidental fall from a hot air balloon, the headline read.


The Process:
I never thought I was very good at short stories so I knew this was going to be a bad one. It wasn't that difficult to come up with words that began with the letter "A," although I didn't use many. I had more trouble trying to create flow in the story, or even figuring out what story to tell. It is very hard to share something so bad. I am very much out of "writing" shape.


Did you try the prompt? How did it go for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment